About Us

Need a help

Contact us by phone or submit your inquiry online. We will respond as soon as possible.

Request Call back

    Would you like to speak to one of our consultant over phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.

    * All fields are required

    Change of immigration status

    “You can change your immigration status while living in Canada…… Navneet Sharma. founder Idea Immigration consultant, a leading and trusted immigration firm in Surrey -BC

    Idea immigration consulting in Surrey. Often receives many inquires about change of status from people wanted to know

    • Can I switch a Visitor Visa to a Work Permit?
    • Can I change a Study Permit to a Work Permit?
    • Can I switch a Visitor Visa to a Study Permit?
    • Can I switch from full-time student to full-time worker? And many more inquires

    For Work Permit

    If you are living in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), you may choose to apply for a work permit. This is important for those who wish to stay in Canada for a longer period of time and earn experience and money to cover living expenses. If you have a TRV, you can first apply to extend your stay. You may then begin the process of applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The LMIA proves that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill a job in Canada by demonstrating that no Canadian workers are available to do the job.

    It is important to note, however, that the time it takes to obtain a work permit may exceed an individual’s permitted time to stay in Canada as a visitor. If this occurs, the individual must leave Canada while they wait for their work permit to be approved and for their status to be changed. As such, individuals who opt for this must be prepared to leave Canada if they are required to.

    For Permanent Residence

    There are very few cases where an individual can apply for their immigration status to be changed from Visitor to Permanent Resident. An exception may be made for someone who has refugee status, for example. The process of applying for Permanent Residency is lengthy; the application processing time alone can take between six and 12 months. That doesn’t take into account the time required to collect supporting documents and materials, or complete forms and applications. Therefore, visitors should not come to Canada with the expectation that they can apply for and be granted permanent resident status during their stay.

    There is, however, the option for an individual who arrives in Canada as a worker to apply for Permanent Residence through the Canadian Experience Class. One of the requirements for this is to work in a skilled position for 12 months of more. IRCC may choose to grant a work permit extension to allow individuals to remain in Canada while their application is being processed for a Canadian Experience Class residence application.

    For Study Permit

    Qualified graduate students who are studying in Canada on a Study Permit may receive work permits to work while they attend school and for a period of up to three years after they graduate. Those who wish to stay in Canada after their graduation can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.

    In sum, it is possible to change your visa status while you are in Canada, but there is no guarantee of success. As such, applicants should always be prepared to leave Canada in the case that their application does not finish processing before their visitor visa, TRV, or work permit expires. Further, be sure to check the expiry date of your documents to ensure that you allow yourself enough time to complete your next set of applications.

    Contact Navneet Sharma

    a reputed certified Canadian Immigration consultant on
    Call – +1 (604)-597-1119 E-mail us on – info@ideaimmigration.com

    When our phone is busy, or you don’t have time

    request a call back.

      I would like to discuss:

      * All fields are required



      Surrey-BC [Head Office]
      Regina- SK