International Experience Canada program
International Experience Canada (IEC) is a program designed to allow youth to work in Canada for temporary periods.
Citizens of countries with a bilateral Youth Mobility Arrangement with Canada between 18 and 35 years old may be eligible for IEC work permits.
The IEC program is composed of three categories:
- Working Holiday
- Young Professionals
- International Co-op
This program can receive an open work permit, valid for one to two years. Openwork permits allow participants to work anywhere in Canada for almost any Canadian employer. In addition, nationals of some countries may be allowed to stay in Canada for more or less than one year.
Under this program, citizens of participating countries can gain valuable international experience working for a Canadian company. A signed job offer letter or contract of employment with a Canadian employer related to the applicant’s professional development is required before applying. In addition, the job offered must be classified as a National Occupation Code (NOC) Skill Type Level 0, A, or B.
This program allows citizens of participating countries enrolled at a post-secondary institution in their country of citizenship to spend a period interning for Canadian companies. Participants must arrange co-op placements with Canadian employers before applying. Applicants must be registered students for the duration of the internship.
Eligibility requirements for the IEC program
- be a citizen (passport holder) of one of the 34 countries that have a bilateral Youth Mobility Arrangement with Canada;
- have a valid passport for the duration of their stay in Canada (the work permit issued will not be longer than the validity of the visa),
- be between the ages of 18 and 30 or 35 at the time of application (the upper age limit depends on the applicant’s country of citizenship);
- have the equivalent of $2,500 CAN upon landing to help cover initial expenses;
- be able to take out health insurance for the duration of their stay (participants may have to present evidence of this insurance at the point of entry in Canada);
- be admissible to Canada;
- have, before departure, a round-trip ticket or the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket for the end of their authorized stay in Canada,
- not be accompanied by dependents; and
- pay the appropriate fees.
Please note that specific age and eligibility requirements may vary by country.
IEC working Process
The IEC operates on an Expression of Interest/Invitation to Apply model. Eligible candidates create an IEC profile but must receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) before applying.
The following is a step-by-step chronological overview of how the IEC program works:
- Complete the Come to Canada questionnaire and, if eligible, get your referral code.
- Use this code to create your online account.
- Complete the remaining steps in the IEC profile builder.
- Submit your profile and choose the IEC pools you want to be in.
- If you receive an Invitation to Apply via your account, you will have ten days to start your application or decline the invitation. If you accept, click the “Start Application” button in your account to start the work permit application process.
- After you press the button “Start Application,” you have 20 days from that day, regardless of whether you accept on day 1 or 10, to complete, pay and submit the work permit application.
- For Young Professional and International Coop categories, your employer needs to pay the $230 Employer Compliance Fee through the Employer Portal before your 20 days expire. Ask your employer to send you the offer of employment number they will get after they have paid their fees. You need this number to apply for your work permit.)
- Upload all supporting documents, including police and medical exam certificates, if applicable (if you don’t have the supporting documents, you can upload proof that you have applied to undertake a medical exam and that a police certificate request has been sent).
- Pay your participation fee of CAD 150 with a credit card through the online payment system in your account.
- For Working Holiday Category, applicants pay their open work permit holder fee of CAD 100 at this time as well.
- At this point, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) begin its temporary work permit application assessment. IRCC may ask you to provide additional documents. This is the last chance to withdraw from IEC and obtain refunds. IRCC typically processes complete applications within eight weeks.
- If the application is successful, a letter of introduction (LOI) will be sent to your account. The document’s official name is the Port of Entry (POE) Introduction Letter.
- This letter is to be presented upon arrival at a Port of Entry (such as an international airport) in Canada, after which a work permit may be obtained.
Although no work permit extensions are authorized under the IEC program, specific scenarios allow participants to increase the validity of an IEC work permit.
Countries with bilateral Youth Mobility Arrangement with Canada
The validity/length of each visa type is specified in the three central columns and will depend on the applicant’s nationality and the visa type that they have applied for.
|Country||Working Holiday||Young Professionals||International Co-op||Age Limit|
|Australia||Up to 24 months||Up to 24 months||Up to 12 months||18-30|
|Austria||N/A||Up to 12 months||Up to 6 months||18-35|
|Belgium||Up to 12 months||N/A||N/A||18-30|
|Chile||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Costa Rica||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Croatia||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Czech Republic||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Denmark||Up to 12 months||N/A||N/A||18-35|
|Estonia||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|France*||Up to 24 months||Up to 24 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Germany||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Greece||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Hong Kong||Up to 12 months||N/A||N/A||18-30|
|Ireland||Up to 24 months||Up to 24 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Italy||Up to 12 months (of which up to six months may be paid employment)||N/A||N/A||18-35|
|Japan||Up to 12 months||N/A||N/A||18-30|
|Korea, Rep.||Up to 12 months||N/A||N/A||18-30|
|Latvia||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Lithuania||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Netherlands||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||N/A||18-30|
|New Zealand||Up to 23 months||N/A||N/A||18-35|
|Norway||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Poland||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Portugal (starting in 2019 EIC season)||Up to 24 months||Up to 24 months||Up to 24 months||18-35|
|San Marino||Up to 12 months||N/A||N/A||18-35|
|Slovakia||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Slovenia||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Spain||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Sweden||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-30|
|Switzerland||N/A||Up to 18 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|Taiwan||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||Up to 12 months||18-35|
|United Kingdom||Up to 24 months||N/A||N/A||18-30|
*Citizens can participate in special IEC student summer job initiatives exclusive to their country.
NOTE: Canada’s bilateral Youth Mobility Arrangements with Mexico and Ukraine are currently under view, and Invitations to Apply for an IEC permit are not being issued at this time.
When our phone is busy, or you don’t have time
Growth through innovation/creativity. Rather than be constrained by ideas for new products, services and new markets coming from just a few people, a Thinking Corporation can tap into the employees.January 14, 2022
Says Morgan Fraud, the author of The Thinking Corporation, “Given that we are all capable of contributing new ideas, the question becomes how do you successfully generate, capture, process and implement ideas?” Becoming an organization capable of answering this question can benefit in a number of waysJanuary 18, 2022
Many businesses, large and small, have a huge source of great ideas that can help them improve, innovate, and grow, and yet so many of these companies never think of using this amazing corporate asset. What is this highly valuable asset? Its own people.January 22, 2022
Supported by a robust sales force and tight cost controls, Pharm Ltd. experienced sustained double-digit growth over a number of years, only to find that their supply chain struggled to keep pace.February 9, 2022